Saturday, May 29, 2010

The BIG (magnificent) SALAD

I love salad. It’s probably one of my favourite foods and nothing could be easier on a day when I’m in super-lazy-sloth-mode than to get some fixin’s  from Whole Foods to add to my own greens, or use up left-over cut up veggies, grains, pasta or salads.  
When I say salads, I don’t mean pitiful American Salads with iceberg, a few pale splinters of carrot and some plastic tomato slices.   I mean Elaine Benes’  “BIG SALAD”  - salad with lots of stuff in it.
In my BIG entree salads, greens like lettuces or spinach only constitute another ingredient.  I don’t use them as a basis for the salad so there’s just as much veggies as anything else. This makes for a heartier, tastier salad.  I typically use cooked grains, left over veggies (Raw or cooked) pasta, chopped veggies, herbs and even fruit as long as the ingredients are cold, they can go in the salad.  One tip:  cut veggies small… that way the mix blends better and no-one gets huge hunks of objectionable ingredients like kale or broccoli. You’ll be amazed what you can eat if it’s cut into small pieces! 
Last night I tossed in a small amount (high fat content) of Annie’s GODDESS DRESSING  and a bunch of good stuff served with garlic bread and some warmed up vegan meatballs.  Everything is raw unless otherwise noted:

curly kale (chopped)
basil
baby spinach
romaine
cucumber
tomatoes
peas
edamame
shredded carrots
shredded beets
green French lentils (cooked)
grains mixture (cooked jasmine rice, quinoa, radish seeds, red rice)
artichoke hearts
roasted garlic cloves
chopped celery
red and green capiscum (bell peppers)
chive flowers (mild onion flavour! very pretty)
parsley
slivered almonds
zucchini slices
a few spirals of left over cooked fusilli and  steamed veggies
cauliflower
broccoli

No comments:

Post a Comment